Translate

Pages

Monday, March 05, 2018

New Loom Accessory

Today DH installed a warping trapeze (Kati Meek's term for this warping method) or a warping valet (as Laura Fry calls it, pictured in the first photo in this post) on my AVL dobby loom.

My typical weaving warps are solid color yarns, but I have plans for a number of painted warps of various types and purposes, the first being the series of baby blankets for my neice Kelsey, which are ready to be wound onto the warp beam. My warping wheel is a great tool for solid color (or even variegated) yarns, but when the warp is wound ahead of time and painted, it needs to be beamed all at once, not in 1-inch sections. So I described what I wanted to my clever husband, he measured this and that and made a list of the parts that would be required, and went to Home Depot, the nearest big-box DIY store.

That was around lunch time, and well before dinner time, the valet was manufactured and installed on the loom. It will be ready to go to work tomorrow. All I need now are some plastic jugs to fill with sand to use for warp weights...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Do you plan to run the warp down from the valet through the raddle? Maybe using the raddle upside-down? I use a valet/trapeze for my plain beams but for the AVL even for painted warps I put the sections on the warping wheel. I paint the sections individually. But I don't care about precision.
Stephanie Change

Alice said...

Clever fellow, to complete the construction in such a short time. I've always wanted a valet, but never got around to it. Eager to see pictures of your progress with the new tool. I think warping is the most interesting part of weaving.

neki desu said...

clever set up.if i could make space for it...